The market town of Brecon is famous for its ancient Cathedral, its Georgian architecture and its annual Jazz Festival held in August. Positioned on the banks of the River usk and confluence of the Rivers Honnddu and Tarrell, Brecon evokes its historical past in many ways. Grand Georgian architecture lies around nearly every corner of its narrow winding streets. Lying at the foot of the Brecon Beacons, at the terminus of the Monmouthsire and Brecon Canal, it is a popular holiday base.
The Monmouthsire and Brecon Canal offers opportunities for scenic travel on a motor-powered or horse-drawn barge. This beautiful stretch of Welsh waterway was once used to bring coal and limestone into Brecon. Visitors at Brecon can enjoy a gentle stroll along the towpath or boat trip staged during the summer months.
The remains of the Roman fort at Y Gaer, some three miles west of Brecon town, are tangible evidence of the area's early history. First built in around AD75, it was rebuilt twice before being abandoned in abut 290. In its time the fort garrisoned the 2nd Legion and the GVettonian Spanish cavalry. Parts were excavated by Sir Mortimer Wheeler in 1924 and some of the outer wall, in places as high as 10 feet tall, as well as traces of the gatres can still be seem.
The Priory Church of St John the Evangelist, originating from an 11-th century cell of the Benedictine monastery was elevated to Cathedral status in 1923 and known as Brecon Cathedral. Inside there are many intersting examples of religious artefacts .
© 2002 - 2017 Where When Wales - All rights reserved - Tel: +44 (0) 7773 786228